By now we've all probably seen the Raven Symone and Oprah video, so I'm not going to link it. Most of my close friends-the social justice warriors they are- completely disagree with the video. Then there are some members of the GSM community who totally agree with Raven's lack of labels. For me personally, as a straight women, I do not think it is my place to comment on Raven's lack of labels in regards to her sexuality. However, as for her race... that's another story.
Labels are not a thing of the past.
I think there's this idea that if everyone started being colorblind, and just identified as human, racism would be over. The only reason racism exists is because "black people keep talking about it." The problem with colorblindness is that it's actually subtle racism. It implies that the only way I can be seen as human, is if race is taken out of the equation. I am a Black woman. I love my skin, I love my culture, I love the way we talk, I love the way we act. I will fight for that culture until the day I die. So try as you might, you are not going to take that away from me. And why would you need to?
Also, even if you don't "see race," the rest of America does. The judicial system does. The police system does.
Labels might be a thing of the past, but the oppression because of these labels is not. When I am being systematically oppressed, in America, I can't just say "I'm American," and rid myself of the problem.
POC did not come up with the terms for races, but the second we start to actually embrace these terms, is when they become a problem.
Raven is still privileged.
Raven is still a Black woman (or an American woman) but she is also very rich and famous. Let's not forget that. It's a very privileged statement to say you don't want to be labeled Black when your repercussions for being Black are lessened due to your social status. Raven doesn't have to experience racial profiling because she's famous. She doesn't have to worry about being followed home after buying a bag of skittles because she most likely has a bodyguard. I hope to get so rich that one day I forget about my race, but guess what, that probably won't happen.
Raven does not speak for the entire Black community.
Anyone has the right to be labeled however they want. Which is why I want to be called Black, so please don't call me a human. Don't get it twisted. If I tell you to call me a Black woman and I hear "BUT RAVEN SAID," you are problematic. You are also confused honey, because I am not the one. I will not buy into your color-blind ideology to make you feel comfortable.
If you are not apart of the community...
Most of the links to the Raven video are from gross Glenn Beck. First of all, couldn't you find a better person to take that story from? But anyways, like I said before, I'm not part of the GSM community so I really don't have a place to talk about how Raven chooses to label -or not label- her sexuality. Not because I don't care. But because I've never been oppressed for being straight. So if you are not a POC, what gives you the right to talk about how people should or shouldn't identify themselves.
Keep in mind, Raven said she doesn't know where her roots are. This isn't out of laziness, this is out of the fact that her ancestors were enslaved in this country.
I could probably write a longer article with sources, and I could elaborate more. But it's 11:00 am and I just needed to get this out.
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment