Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

9/18/2014

I hate calling the things that  I write “articles” because I’m not a real writer and they’re not well written. 
They’re just thoughts from my brain posted on the Internet and in the school paper. 

But anyways, one of my “articles” irritated this guy so much that two of my friends told me he was talking about it. When my friend Jessica suggested that we were close friends, and that she knew me in real life, he was shocked. He imagined me writing this article in some far off place like New York while typing on a Mac like SJP. It didn’t occur to him that the writing he was criticizing online, and in person, was written by someone that he had interacted with several times before.

It's weird. I see my writing, and I see the writing of those people that I highly respect. People in my fellowship can write so beautifully, and for a long length of time. Their vocabulary is impressive, and I see no grammatical errors. When I write for my school news paper there are so many mistakes because I usually type them on my iPhone while I wait the 15 minutes it takes for my Kraft Macaroni to boil. I figure if there are mistakes the editor will catch them and if not, oh well. People will get the gist of what I'm saying.

But now I'm wondering if I should take the time to improve my writing. I know I overuse commas, but they just seem to match my natural way of speaking. I honestly have never used a semicolon, and don't ask me how to, because I simply don't know. I don't know when the paragraphs end, or begin. 


But then on the other hand, it's really freeing to not care. I no longer have to impress anyone, because I'm almost at the point where I'm content with myself. 

I just write because it feels good, and it makes sense to me. 

I know I share my articles often, but it's not to gain respect. It's to make others think. I enjoy thinking about tough things, and I want to help others do the same. 

My friend Ciera and I started a conversation on Monday, and we are still researching the ideas brought up in it today. That kind of stuff excites me. Exercising my brain, and thinking about things other than homework and work. 

I think over time my writing style will just improve naturally. But it will probably be a long time. If you are reading this now and have read my other work and you're wondering why people like what I write, I have no explanation. If you're reading this now and wondering why that last sentence was so awkwardly written, I am sorry. 

I promise to do better next time.

But I almost got a perfect grade in English 1102. I think that counts for something right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik