Yesterday my school newspaper printed an article about sex. It featured a poll of 50 students, and asked their views about it. According to the poll, 42% of people our campus were "virgins" (hate using that word because it's a social construct), and 58% were not.
The paper also featured some interesting quotes from students. Some people stressed the importance of waiting, others compared sex to a hot dog. And honestly, I see nothing wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on it. If you want to treat sex seriously, that's fine. If you want to treat sex as a joke, that's fine. Because at the end of the day, it's not impacting me.
Also, there were only 50 students polled. It's not like the paper was trying to do a scientific study. This was just a poll for a paper. I honestly feel like the hoopla around it is confusing, and odd. Colleges have entire weeks dedicated to sex. Even at Georgia Southern, we play games like condom bingo!! The article wasn't perfect. I believe that a little plug for safe sex should have been featured at the bottom. But, I digress.
This article isn't about the actual article.
It's about people that jumped on the bandwagon to bash it, without even taking the 5 minutes it takes to read it. For example, someone posted a Facebook status on the issue. However, there were people liking the status who I know have never read our school paper in their lives. This isn't me making assumptions because I actually asked them.
The newspaper at my school is not only online, but it is in practically every building on campus. It is free, easy to read, and not very long. People definitely have access to it.
I think forming your own opinion on a piece of work is fine, it is human nature. I feel like forming your own opinion based on someone else's opinion without doing any prior research, is irresponsible. I don't know what it is, but many people my age have this herd mentality. They MUST like/dislike something to fit in without taking some time to critically analyze it, and actually see if it aligns with their values.
I'm sorry, but I thought that was only acceptable in middle school? We're adults. We are of voting age. If we aren't taking the five seconds necessary to research controversial topics, we are being lazy.
So yes, while I do not agree with people who disliked the article, I applaud them for taking the time to read something, and form their own views. I am disappointed in those who didn't do the same.
Friday, September 19, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment